Toko Ski Wax

Innovative from the very beginning. Ever since the company was founded, the development of advanced products has been an essential component of the Toko philosophy. Today, Toko is a leading global company with excellent future prospects in the areas of ski, textile and footwear care.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

 

xtri.com | gear reviews | shwalla winter clothing

xtri.com | gear reviews | shwalla winter clothing: "Shwalla Winter Clothing
Eye-Popping Gear For Winter Training
With winter fully upon us here in Canada, what better time to write about a new line of winter apparel that should be in stores soon. Shwalla's slogan is 'Hybrid Performance Apparel for Every Degree', and I set out to test their winter line of upper clothing titled simply '20 Degree'. That stands for '20 degrees Fahrenheit', and for those of us more familiar with the Metric system, that converts to about minus 7 Celsius. They also make a 40 degree and 60 degree line of apparel, but given the season, the 20 Degree top was the most appropriate.

xtri.com sponsor






The basic premise of the names is that you should feel comfortable in that temperature range, with just one layer of Shwalla. And I found that to be an accurate description. I ran in minus 5-7 Celsius weather, mild wind, with a thin coolmax singlet under the top, and was perfectly comfortable. When it got colder, I wore a long sleeve base layer (in this case a thin Lifa top) with the 20 Degree top, and never got cold. I recall one run, minus 18-20 Celsius, nasty windchill at times, no problem. At these colder temperatures, it's my feet that start getting cold due to the ventilation in my shoes and my thin running socks, so upper body warmth would not be a limiting factor for me - it's my feet that would give out. The only chink in the armor seemed to be at the zipper, where wind could leak through and I'd develop a frost line along the length of the zipper. Not enough to make me cold, but it was visible. The zipper is a heavy gauge one, almost like a wetsuit zipper, and could benefit from some backing material to block that draft.

Here's a description, right off the Shwalla website, of the material they are"





<< Home

Archives

February 2005   March 2005   November 2005   January 2006   March 2006   January 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?